Re: Fw: Karelian ASSR

From: Radovan Garabik (garabik@melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk)
Date: Thu Jan 02 2003 - 11:02:21 EST

    On Fri, Dec 27, 2002 at 04:55:19PM +0300, Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:
    > On Fri, Dec 27, 2002 at 01:43:48 +0000, Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin wrote:
    >
    > > due to the new language law of the Russian Federation that makes
    > > Cyrillics compulsory for all the languages within the Federation.
    >
    > That's a very controversial law, but one correction is due
    > nonetheless: "for all *state* languages".
    >
    > Constitution says that the republics shall have the right to institute
    > their own state languages. This law puts a constraint on that right.
    > My understanding is that if a republic wants to institute a state
    > language that is not written in cyrillic, the decision must be made at
    > a federal level.

    So a given language, let's say Karelian, can be written in
    Cyrillic script (containing cyrillic letters a,e,i,j,o,p,y,c,s,
    some of them _of course_ pronounced differently than in russian,
    Karelian has completely different pronunciation after all,
    plus some few additional latin letters - when Kurdish can,
    why cannot Karelian - such as b,d,f,g,h,k,l,m,n,r,t,v,z,š,č etc...)
    and everyone is going to be happy.

    Just look forward for (dis)unification problems then :-)

    | Radovan Garabík http://melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk/~garabik/ |