Re: urban legends just won't go away!

From: Eric Muller (emuller@adobe.com)
Date: Fri Jan 31 2003 - 19:11:55 EST

Barry Caplan wrote:

>Who knew in this day and age flipping bits to change case is still publishable (this is from today!)

What I find a lot more objectionable is that what this code pretends to
do is not defined (in particular, the domain over which it applies).
Without such qualification, we cannot say if the code is correct or not,
no matter how fishy it looks. In fact, this example is a perfectly valid
implementation if the system pretends to handle only an appropriate
subset of the Unicode character set.

For more information, see <http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/EWD/>.

Eric.