Re: LATIN LETTER N WITH DIAERESIS?

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Mon Feb 03 2003 - 06:05:45 EST

    Asmus Freytag had written:

    Lukas Pietsch wrote:
    > Your F725 Unknown-2, to me, looks like a German SCRIPT CAPITAL S,
    > (compare with U+2112;SCRIPT CAPITAL L). Yes, we were taught to write an
    > S like this in school. Perhaps it's used somewhere in mathematics?

    > Your F7AA Unknown-8 could then be a SCRIPT CAPITAL C.

    Cf. the "Ausgangsschrift" tought at German schools, viz.
    <http://www.dietschweiler.de/SUETTER/schrift.gif>
    (1915 through 1941), and
    <http://www.pelikan-lehrerinfo.de/lehrerinfo/shoppix/shopitem151big.gif>
    (1953 through now (but there have been more recent alternatives, viz.
    shopitem150big.gif, shopitem152big.gif, shopitem155big.gif)).

    I am not entirely convinced that "S" and "C" are the intended meanings.
    The left-hand stroke of F725 is far too high for a capital S,
    and also the position of the left-hand stroke of F7AA does not look
    quite right for a "C".

    Based on their code positions, I think, the F725 and F7AA characters
    are meant as Variants of "d", and "T", respectively.

    F725 resembles U+20B0 GERMAN PENNY SIGN, which is probably a script "d",
    derived from the Latin word "denarius". (Just add an upstroke on the
    left hand of the Verdana PUA character.)

    This is not convincing either, I know. Just my 0,02 ¤.

    Best wishes,
       Otto Stolz