Re: Indic Devanagari Query

From: Jim Allan (jallan@smrtytrek.com)
Date: Tue Feb 04 2003 - 18:11:05 EST

    > Peter Constable wrote,
    >
    >> There are indeed some examples in Latin script. For instance, there are
    >> three different typeforms form 014A used by different language communities.
    >
    > It's also been reported that there's a strong local preference
    > for a variant of U+0257 in certain African language communities.
    >
    > (It would be nice to have confirmation about U+0257...)
    >
    > If these alternate forms were needed to be displayed in a single
    > multi-lingual plain-text file, wouldn't we need some method of
    > tagging the runs of Latin text for their specific languages?
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > James Kass

    One could start with indications as to whether the text was traditional
    Chinese, simplified Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc. :-(

    But I don't see that there is anything particularly wrong with citing or
    using a language in a different typographical tradition. A linguistic
    study of the distribution of the Eng sound might cite written forms with
    capital letters from Sami and some from African languages, but need not
    and probably should not be concerned about matching exactly the exact
    typographical norms in those tongues, for _eng_ or for any other letter.

    Jim Allan