Re: Dutch currency symbol

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Tue Feb 04 2003 - 20:06:48 EST

    > Does unicode have a code point for the former dutch currency symbol?

    Yes. U+0192 (which should be decimal 0402)

    > It would really surprise me if it had, we don't have
    > dutch currency any more, so what would we use it for?

    For referring to the *old* Dutch currency.

    > However, the web page
    >
    > http://uo.stratics.com/content/misc/unicode.shtml
    >
    > seems to say that the code point for it is
    >
    > 025219 (decimal)
    >
    > which I think would be U+6283 (hex)

    What Elowyn of Moonglow is referring to are codes for
    Windows Code Page 1252:

    Windows 1252 Unicode
    0x83 --> U+0192 LATIN SMALL LETTER F WITH HOOK (used for florin)
    0x84 --> U+201E DOUBLE LOW-9 QUOTATION MARK
    0x86 --> U+2020 DAGGER
    0x87 --> U+2021 DOUBLE DAGGER

    The incantations he cites:

    [Alt]-025219
    [Alt]-025220
    [Alt]-025222
    [Alt]-025223

    respectively, are Windows incantations referring to Windows
    1252 character input, rather than decimal codes referring to
    Unicode code points directly.

    Perhaps Elowyn has been partaking too many of his own potions.
    At the very least the title of his paper, "Unicode Text", is
    a bit misleading. ;-)

    --Ken