Re: BOM's at Beginning of Web Pages?

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@mailaps.org)
Date: Mon Feb 17 2003 - 08:13:51 EST

    On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, Michael Everson wrote:

    > X browsers, and the keepers of that home page should delete the first
    > character before the HTML begins right away. I am cc:ing the keepers

      I agree that they should.

      Incidentally, it just occurred to me that ftp/ssh clients may offer an
    user-configurable option for the automatic removal of 'UTF-8 BOM' at
    the beginning of a text file in UTF-8 when moving files from Windows to
    non-Windows platforms (Unix/Unix-like OS and MacOS). The same is true
    of Kermit (Frank, are you here?). All those tools can be configured
    to translate between three (and nowadays even more?) EOL conventions,
    CF/LF/CR,LF for text files. Then, the automatic removal(and addition if
    that's regarded as necessary) of UTF-8 BOM at platform boundaries
    would be as useful.

       As for web servers, a configurable option can be added to remove
    UTF-8 BOM at the beginning of text/* files(they serve). For instance,
    I think it's not hard to write a simple module for Apache(used at Unicode.org
    web site) to do that.

      With these additional guards, UTF-8 BOM added by some editors
    without users' notice would be made less of problem.

       Jungshik