Re: UTF-8 question

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 01:44:01 EST

    Yung-Fong Tang <ftang at netscape dot com> wrote:

    > Should I consider
    > ef bf be ( = U+FFFE)
    > and
    > ef bf bf ( = U+FFFF)
    > Illegal UTF8? If so. any specification / documentation mention that ?
    > URL please.

    That's a good question. U+FFFE and U+FFFF are noncharacters, so they're
    not permitted in normal interchange, but I'm not sure whether the UTF-8
    sequences that represent them are themselves illegal.

    For that matter, if we are excluding the noncharacters U+xxFFFE and
    U+xxFFFF, on whatever basis, then we also have to exclude the range
    U+FDD0 through U+FDEF. I missed that in my earlier post.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/