RE: IPA Null Consonant

From: Kent Karlsson (kentk@md.chalmers.se)
Date: Tue Jun 03 2003 - 11:03:57 EDT

    Jim Allan wrote:
    > Kent Karlsson posted on the use of slashed zero for empty set:
    >
    > > Yes... A horrible glyph for denoting the empty set, if I may say so.
    > > No
    > > offence intended. Please use the glyph available via the command
    > > \varnothing (a misleading name...) in the amssymb package;
    > or simply a
    > > capital o with stroke (U+00D8; upright or italic) to denote
    > the empty
    > > set.
    > > (Note that TeX is "glyph code oriented"; not really
    > character oriented.)
    >
    > I disagree.
    >
    > I feel the slashed zero form better interacts typographically
    > with other
    > symbols than the austere slashed circle, especially in linguistics.

    Perhaps. I did say "for denoting the empty set". And Pullum,
    in "Phonetic symbol guide" (1996), does distinguish them.

    > It is probable that appearances of the slashed capital O to mean
    > nothing, null set, etc, are purposeful, not just typographical
    > compromises when the correct symbol wasn't available.

    (re "nothing" see below)
    Probably. But it is not a good (i.e. highly conventional) way to
    denote the empty set.

    > Knuth certainly knew such variants but chose what he thought was the
    > best one for the character. Have you any indication it was
    > not then also the most normal one?

    I'm not going to do any statistical occurrence analysis; but it is not
    in line with the origin of the character. (It is also not the one I'm
    used
    to, apart from that in old typewriter-written material where 0 and O
    aren't (couldn't be) different in any way...)

    > The names used for these symbols in the mathml lists indicate
    > that the slashed circle that is now seen as the variant form.

    Another way of denoting the empty set in MathML is <mi>&#xD8;</mi>...
    (Perhaps not an expected one by the authors of the MathML
    specification.)

    > Slashed zero in itself suggests nothingness and emptiness better than
    > slashed capital O, which probably in part explains why its
    > use has spread.

    Maybe. B.t.w.: nothingness and emptiness is not the same. An empty set
    is a set, which is something (in an abstract sense), not a nothing.
    However,
    the empty set *contains* nothing, but the set of the empty set, {{}} or
    {Ø},
    contains the empty set (i.e. it has one element)...

    However, what is used in linguistics, in reference to this discussion,
    is a
    denotation for the empty string (which is also something, not a
    nothing).
    The empty set is also used, but that is quite different from the empty
    string,
    and also different from the set of the empty string (which has one
    element!).

    > The symbol is one, and to be encoded as U+2205 pending
    > indication that
    > distinctions have been generally made between the glyphs or new
    > standards requesting that in the future a distinction be made between
    > the glyphs.

    Pullum distinguishes them (as symbols). TeX (in practice) distinguishes
    them (as symbols). MathML apparently wants to distinguish them. (Though
    I find the slashed zero variety already representable in Unicode.)

                    /kent k