Re: Major Defect in Combining Classes of Tibetan Vowels

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Wed Jun 25 2003 - 16:15:21 EDT

    John Hudson scripsit:

    > I'm not saying I like this, but this is how it has been explained to
    > me with regard to the very clearly erroneous Hebrew mark combining classes
    > which demonstrably break Biblical Hebrew text. In this case, any existing
    > normalisation for Hebrew is already broken -- in the sense of destroying
    > Biblical Hebrew text -- but still the argument from the UTC seems to be
    > that even broken implementations -- broken because the standard is broken
    > -- must not be broken.

    I don't understand how the current implementation "breaks BH text".
    At worst, normalization may put various combining marks in a non-traditional
    order, but all alternative orders are canonically equivalent anyway, and
    no (ordinary) Unicode process should depend on any specific order.

    --
    Not to perambulate                 John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
        the corridors                  http://www.reutershealth.com