Re: Biblical Hebrew

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Fri Jun 27 2003 - 02:59:34 EDT

    At 08:15 PM 6/26/2003, Kenneth Whistler wrote:

    >But who then does end up carrying the can eventually, if we go
    >the cloning route? Cloning 14 characters creates a *new*
    >normalization problem, and forces non-Biblical-scholar users of
    >pointed Hebrew text to carry *that* particular can.

    >I think if you really sit down and think about this in the
    >larger context of users of Unicode Hebrew generically, instead
    >of merely the Biblical Hebrew community that you are trying
    >to find a solution for, you may realize that displacing the
    >pain to *other* users may not be the best solution, either.

    I think there is a reasonable case to be made for treating modern Hebrew
    and Biblical Hebrew as separate languages for pretty much all purposes. The
    existing codepoints with the fixed position combining classes work fine for
    Modern Hebrew, and there's no reason that they should not continue to be
    used for that language. I would seriously entertain the idea of re-encoding
    *all* the Hebrew marks, along with non-Tiberian vocalisation marks and
    anything else specifically needed for Biblical Hebrew, in a separate block,
    and deprecate the cantillation marks in the Hebrew block.

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    If you browse in the shelves that, in American bookstores,
    are labeled New Age, you can find there even Saint Augustine,
    who, as far as I know, was not a fascist. But combining Saint
    Augustine and Stonehenge -- that is a symptom of Ur-Fascism.
                                                                 - Umberto Eco