Re: Plain-text search algorithms: normalization, decomposition, case mapping, word breaks

From: Ben Dougall (bend@freenet.co.uk)
Date: Fri Jun 27 2003 - 10:44:15 EDT

    i'm a bit confused. i thought that this type of thing was already
    pretty well covered by the various unicode resources? (i guess there's
    a strong chance not, if you're asking this question).

    this is the way i see it:

    it's for you to decide which format you internally normalise to (i'm
    not even sure if that's the right word). to which specific *base
    format* you decide to adhere to. (i'm talking about things like do you
    treat text in a composed or decomposed form for example). it doesn't
    matter which internal base format you choose, so long as you stick to
    it and never try to compare two texts in different 'base formats'. then
    on top of that you'd need to also apply a way to make use of character
    mappings - when you get various versions of characters amounting to the
    same meaning. (there's different levels to that and decisions for you
    to make - no right nor wrong. the extent to which you allow various
    character to amount to the same one. (this includes case mappings for
    example obviously)

    i don't see how language differences come into this. the japanese no
    space thing you mention: if someone types in a particular phrase, in
    japanese (therefore without spaces, if that is actually the case), then
    the search will not try and use spaces. and the text that they're
    searching will not be using spaces as it'll also be in japanese.

    all that 'remove' and 'replace' part - you don't have to transform the
    text, surely you just have to set up rules (or filters) within the code
    that says for example "a or any number of tabs + a or any number of
    spaces = 1 space". and if you apply those rules *throughout*, to the
    text being searched, and the text strings that are inputted and
    searched for, then all'll be cool (?) maybe.

    > - replace all dashes with a standard ASCII minus-hyphen

    like that part. i wouldn't replace or change any text in any way. i'd
    just say in the code that any dash amounts to any other dash (and 'any
    dash' = what you mean by 'all dashes')

    basically i wouldn't go about changing characters. just allowing them
    to represent an array of characters (including nothing/no characters in
    some cases maybe)

    so it's 2 main basic things: convert to base format throughout, and set
    up rules / filters for characters (which will make heavy use of data,
    (is it the 'properties' data? - for character grouping and mappings)
    from unicode, plus a bit more of your own such as saying a variable
    long line of any white space amounts to one space, if you'd want things
    with variable amounts of space in to match that is.