Re: Biblical Hebrew (Was: Major Defect in Combining Classes of Tibetan Vowels)

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Fri Jun 27 2003 - 14:12:53 EDT

    At 10:20 AM 6/27/2003, John Cowan wrote:

    > > What if the request to change the Hebrew combining classes came *from* W3C
    > > and/or IETF? I'm not saying that this is likely, but I'm wondering whether
    > > they might, in fact, not insist on stability for characters for which
    > > normalisation is currently broken anyway?
    >
    >The normalization is not broken from the point of view of the "stability
    >community". They consider it more important that there be a fixed rule,
    >than what the content of the rule is. Google for "stare decisis" for
    >much more on this point of view in general.

    Fair enough. I made my suggestion before reading all of your exchange with
    Michael.

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    If you browse in the shelves that, in American bookstores,
    are labeled New Age, you can find there even Saint Augustine,
    who, as far as I know, was not a fascist. But combining Saint
    Augustine and Stonehenge -- that is a symptom of Ur-Fascism.
                                                                 - Umberto Eco