RE: MS Windows and Unicode 4.0 ?

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 20:41:09 EST

    Peter Lofting [mailto:lofting@apple.com]
    > Do you have references to the German as well as French script names...and
    any others ?

    For French, I could translate them myself, but you'll find normative French
    names within ISO/IEC 10646 which names all its assigned blocks in the
    published French version.

    The assigned 4-letter codes for scripts however come from a RFC published in
    English only (the RFC makes a normative reference to the English names found
    in both ISO/IEC 10646 and Unicode), but the source of information may
    finally be now ISO-10646 only as it is the entity that manages character
    repertoires and subsets.

    Unicode manages character properties and composition rules, but I do think
    that ISO-10646 is more trustable than Unicode to define script names and
    their associated repertoire subset, even if both entities share now an
    agreement for this convention, as the script associated with a character is
    also a character property in the domain of competence of Unicode. Who ever
    will make the proposal, and who will decide is another issue.

    But generally Unicode takes a longer time to include new characters in the
    common repertoire than ISO/IEC 10646 which involves many more national
    standardization bodies around the world than the Unicode Consortium and its
    working groups and liaison members. The time delay is needed by Unicode to
    correctly assign and discuss character properties (so an assignment in
    ISO/IEC 10646 or Unicode is not noramtive until both entities have balloted
    and voted in favor of the inclusion.

    As both entities involve different people (Unicode is open to any private
    organizations or people willing to join it, unlike ISO/IEC 10646 which
    approves its members, with some being involved by their governement as they
    could not pay the price of a full Unicode membership), it is a good point
    that both entities (public versus private, even if that division is not so
    strict) share their point of view about the extension of the repertoire.

    I would prefer to work within Unicode, but I can't pay its membership price
    in terms of time and participation. And I'm not entitled to join a ISO/IEC
    10646 working group with its heavy administrative working methods. In both
    cases, I don't have the money and dedicated time to participate to their
    meeting around the world...

    << ella for Spam Control >> has removed Spam messages and set aside
    Newsletters for me
    You can use it too - and it's FREE! http://www.ellaforspam.com