Re: Coloured diacritics (Was: Transcoding Tamil in the presence of markup)

From: jcowan@reutershealth.com
Date: Tue Dec 09 2003 - 08:41:54 EST

    Philippe Verdy scripsit:

    > XML files are definitely NOT plain text (if this was the case, then it would
    > be forbidden to interpret "<" as a special markup character instead of the
    > standard Unicode base character with its associated glyph)...

    You might as well say that C code is not plain text because it too is
    subject to special canons of interpretation. But both XML/HTML/SGML
    and the various programming languages are plain text: they are written
    with plain-text editors, manipulated with plain-text tools, and can be
    rendered with plain-text renderers. The fact that other things can be
    done with them is neither here nor there.

    --
    "In my last lifetime,                           John Cowan
    I believed in reincarnation;                    http://www.ccil.org/~cowan