Re: [OT]

From: jon@hackcraft.net
Date: Tue Dec 09 2003 - 12:17:35 EST

    > It staggers the imagination to conceive of how this could happen. Real
    > Irish Guinness was a constant in this world for centuries, and suddenly
    > some greedy investors turned it into a scam just for a quick buck (for
    > surely it will be quick!)

    There has always been variation in the way it was brewed internationally. The
    stuff we have in Ireland is would have been too weak to last for long in the
    African heat before refrigeration became so cheap.

    The sweeter, stronger African variety, as brewed in Nigeria, is now to go on
    sale here though, as immigrants from Africa are complaining that you can't get
    a proper Guinness in Ireland.

    > Sorry, I had to get that off my chest. Hopefully someone with some pull
    > in Ireland will read this and do something about it :-)

    Bah, if we had any pull we could stop them making it increasingly colder and
    colder. They've already gone past the stage where you can't taste it (I
    understand heavily refrigerated beer is an American invention, and given the
    way American beer tastes this makes sense), soon it'll be served to you on a
    stick.

    I can't even remember if this thread was ever on topic. How did we get into
    this?

    --
    Jon Hanna                   | Toys and books
    <http://www.hackcraft.net/> | for hospitals: