Re: Stability of WG2 (was: Re: [OT] CJK -> CJC)

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Mon Dec 15 2003 - 22:13:58 EST

    Kenneth Whistler <kenw at sybase dot com> wrote:

    > One of the reasons why "national bodies" (the standardization
    > organizations of the various countries that participate in the
    > ISO framework) make longterm commitments to participation in
    > the ISO standards is to ensure the *stability* of the standards
    > that concern them.

    The North Korean and Chinese national bodies have already made proposals
    that violate both the letter and spirit of stability policies.

    > With an ISO standard as important as 10646 in the docket, you can
    > be assured that there will be continued U.S. national interest
    > (among others) to ensure that continued stability in key points
    > in the standard. As long as *anyone* is proposing changes to that
    > key standard, it is unlikely that U.S. participation will drop off,
    > even if Ken, Michael, Michel, Rick, and whoever else talk about
    > stability on the Unicode list retire and pass on the torches to
    > some younguns to take over.

    I'm glad the U.S. national body will stay involved, but having to rely
    on that does sound a bit like having to rely on enlightened statesmen,
    doesn't it?

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/