RE: Case mapping of dotless lowercase letters

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Tue Dec 16 2003 - 19:04:17 EST

    At 00:35 +0100 2003-12-17, Philippe Verdy wrote:

    > >>NO. There's no canonical equivalence between distinct pairs of
    > >>characters, if the first letter of each pair are not also canonically
    > >>equivalent.
    > >
    >> compare ë? with e¨
    >>
    >> The first pair has e trema as its first letter, the second pair e ogonek.
    >> Yet these pairs are canonical equivalent.
    >
    >True in the way you interpret my sentence, but when I say the "first letter"
    >of each pair, I mean the first non decomposable character of each pair. In
    >your example, both letters are simple "e" vowels.

    e-diaeresis is decomposable to e + combining
    diaeresis. e-ogonek-diaeresis is decomposable to
    e + combining diaeresis + combining ogonek or to
    e + combining ogonek + combining diaeresis. The
    last two are equivalent.

    >Both "dotted lowercase i" and "dotless lowercase i" are not decomposable...
    >unlike "dotter uppercase I"...

    small letter i and small letter dotless i are as different as t and thorn.

    >Well Outlook 2000 is unable to represent any e with ogonek and trema of your
    >example.

    Get a better browser.