RE: Case mapping of dotless lowercase letters

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Wed Dec 17 2003 - 14:29:21 EST

    Peter Kirk wrote:
    > Conclusion: the right thing even for Turkish is to drop the dot on i
    > before a circumflex.

    I agree. The letter is rare enough to not create an exception here for
    the removal of dot on the soft-dotted i followed by circumflex (which
    is needed much more often in other languages that use 'î' and Î'.

    > But by the same argument we would also want to drop
    > the dot on dotless I.

    I think you meant "But by the same argument we would also want to drop
    the dot on DOTTED I". I would not recommand it, this would make things
    even worse and more complicated.

    If Turkish wants to remove the dot on "pseudo-dotted" I if followed by
    a circumflex, the correct thing to do is then to use the ASCII dotless
    I and add a circumflex or use its canonical equivalent
    <LATIN CAPITAL LETTER I WITH CIRCUMFLEX>.

    With the current specification, both of
            <LATIN CAPITAL LETTER I, COMBINING CIRCUMFLEX>, and
            <LATIN CAPITAL LETTER I WITH CIRCUMFLEX>
    are canonical equivalents and must render the same, without the dot.

    To display a dot, one can use one of the four canonical eqquivalents:
            <LATIN CAPITAL LETTER I WITH DOT ABOVE, COMBINING CIRCUMFLEX>
            <LATIN CAPITAL LETTER I WITH CIRCUMFLEX, COMBINING DOT ABOVE>
            <LATIN CAPITAL LETTER I, COMBINING DOT ABOVE, COMBINING CIRCUMFLEX>
            <LATIN CAPITAL LETTER I, COMBINING CIRCUMFLEX, COMBINING DOT ABOVE>
    (one is the NFC form, another is the NFD form, two others are also
    possible)

    << ella for Spam Control >> has removed Spam messages and set aside
    Newsletters for me
    You can use it too - and it's FREE! http://www.ellaforspam.com