Re: Case mapping of dotless lowercase letters

From: Christopher John Fynn (cfynn@gmx.net)
Date: Wed Dec 17 2003 - 20:44:35 EST

    > However, could there be an encoding for:
    > <LATIN CAPITAL LETTER DOTLESS J>
    > with a lowercase mapping to the new:
    > <LATIN SMALL LETTER DOTLESS J>
    > Of course the former would look exactly the same as the
    > ASCII uppercase J, except that it would have a distinct
    > case mapping. This would avoid, for j/J the nightmare
    > of dotless-i/dotted-i/I...

    It introduces another difficulty though - If there are languages using a "LATIN
    SMALL LETTER DOTLESS J" and words written in those languages are sometimes
    capitalised - then presumably there is already data where "LATIN CAPITAL
    LETTER J" has already been used as the upper case for "LATIN SMALL LETTER
    DOTLESS J" introducing a separate

    A purist might argue that if there are no places where a using "LATIN CAPITAL
    LETTER DOTLESS J" instead of "LATIN SMALL LETTER DOTLESS J" makes a lexical
    difference then one is simply a glyph variant of the other. If that is so then
    there is no need for two characters one form could be handled by higher level
    mark-up and rendered using a different glyph.

    I think Latin has too long been considered a "simple script" - if one takes
    into account the number of languages written in Latin script and all the
    additions modifications used to do this, Latin is a "complex script". In view
    of this before adding new Latin characters it might be a good idea to first
    consider the kind of solutions used for scripts that have always been
    considered "complex".

    - Chris