RE: American English translation of character names

From: D. Starner (shalesller@writeme.com)
Date: Thu Dec 18 2003 - 08:02:02 EST

    > Or, indeed, why the "proper" name for a character must be in English,
    > and spellable in ASCII, instead of, say, Japanese.

    Because it's an English character list; limiting the use of the list to
    those who know 15 languages wouldn't be of much help. And ASCII, because
    once you've restricted it to English, it's not much of a restriction, and
    there's few channels where ASCII gets restricted, but many where arbitrary
    UTF-8 isn't accepted.

    > In fact, I don't even see why a Unicode character /has/ to
    > have a "proper name" at all.

    Because a great pain of Unicode is the lack of a standard JIS X0218-Unicode
    mapping, and part of that reason is the fact that JIS X0218 is a glyph
    standard without proper names and definitions of what the characters are.

    > ASCII characters never had them.

    http://www.itscj.ipsj.or.jp/ISO-IR/006.pdf (ISO 646, USA Version X3.4 - 1968)
    certainly seems to have them.

    > And, hey -
    > the official names for CJK Unified Ideographs Extension A (for example)
    > tell me nothing more than the script and codepoint anyway.

    And they are the exceptions to the rules.

    Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
    http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm