Re: [OT] Keyboards (was: American English translation of character names)

From: Mark E. Shoulson (mark@kli.org)
Date: Fri Dec 19 2003 - 09:39:47 EST

    On 12/19/03 03:05, Arcane Jill wrote:

    > Another minor US/UK difference is that <shift 2> is double quotes in
    > England, not @.

    I remember my old TRS-80 had double-quotes on shift-2 as well. I
    half-remember that it had something to do with the bit-patterns, so the
    shift key could work by applying a fairly trivial transformation to the
    unshifted characters. "2" is 0032 and """ is 0022, so I may not be
    completely mistaken... yeah, I think it looks right: the rest of the
    shifted-number symbols match the number symbols minus 0010.

    > I never understood why a certain computer company saw fit to squeeze
    > three extra keys onto an already crowded keyboard.

    Not sure I do either, but I have to admit it comes in handy to have a
    couple of extra shift keys. I map them to things like
    compose-character, Meta, stuff like that. But then, I don't use that
    company's software much.

    > As another aside (and a possibly useful tip), I once had a keyboard
    > with black keys, on which the letters were printed in white. Being a
    > touch-typist, I painted all the key legends out with black paint,
    > leaving only legendless keys.

    Didn't Big Julie in Guys and Dolls try the same thing with dice? He
    remembered where the spots formerly were...

    ~mark