RE: Aramaic unification and information retrieval

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Sun Dec 21 2003 - 14:33:48 EST

    At 01:54 +0100 2003-12-21, Philippe Verdy wrote:

    >The way the various Indic scripts create ligatures and take contextual forms
    >make each of them very unique by themselves. The only common thing they have
    >is a set of common phonemes which are more or less near from each other,
    >with large variations between regional dialects.

    They have a common structure, which we follow in encoding.

    >The way each of these scripts were then used and created their own
    >orthograph for distinct languages and they were adapted to allow writing one
    >language in another with irregular orthographic rules is so important that
    >simple 1-to-1 transliterations from one to the other are very poor. You
    >can't simply transliterate without taking into account difference of
    >phonetics between regions speaking variants of the same language.

    Nonsense. Of course you can. KA is KA is KA is KA and BHA is BHA is
    BHA is BHA. The *reading rules* for pronouncing what's been written
    differ, but the transliteration is by and large one-to-one. Tamil of
    course is an exception, having lost some consonants.

    >Finally, not all Indian share the "same" subset of characters. It's just
    >unfortunate that you think that because the ISCII standard tried to "unify"
    >them in the same encoding model, but still with distinct charsets.

    This doesn't make any sense to me at all.

    >Indic scripts have much less in common than Greek, Latin and Cyrillic.

    That isn't true.

    >They are just using smaller sets of letters (at the price of an extremely
    >elaborate system of contextual forms).

    I don't know what you are talking about.