Re: Aramaic unification and information retrieval

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Tue Dec 23 2003 - 05:06:02 EST

    At 21:36 -0800 2003-12-22, Doug Ewell wrote:

    >Maybe not as far as whether it will actually be encoded. We do know
    >that "Accordance with the Roadmap" is often the sole justification
    >for the code positions specified in proposals, as discussed in a
    >thread some months ago.

    Excuse me? Are you irritated about something, Doug?

    When I fill out the proposal summary form, I do NOT bother to rehash
    all the reasons why we decided to put something on the BMP or the
    SMP. Why? Because it isn't a good use of our time to rehash all of
    these things and pour out the history of why we thought it would be
    good to put something where. "Accordance with the Roadmap" is often
    the sole justification that I bother to put in the Proposal Summary
    form. But it reflects consensus about where the Roadmap Committee
    thinks things ought to go. You may remember that Ken convinced me to
    move Phoenician to the SMP at one stage in favour of Arabic
    Extensions. I suppose that's in the archives somewhere, where some
    future Historian of Unicode (hi there!) can find it.