Re: Aramaic unification and information retrieval

From: Patrick Andries (Patrick.Andries@xcential.com)
Date: Fri Dec 26 2003 - 17:58:29 EST

    ----- Message d'origine -----
    De: "Michael Everson" <everson@evertype.com>

    At 17:46 +0000 2003-12-26, Christopher John Fynn wrote:

    >>(Though the Roman style & Fraktur style of Latin script are probably more
    >>different from each other as some of the separately encoded Indic
    >>scripts [e.g. Kannada / Telugu])

    > Sorry, Chris, this is unsubstantiated speculation, and it doesn't
    > happen to be true.
    >
    > In 1997, I showed some comparisons between Coptic, Greek, Cyrillic,
    > and Gothic showing that all of them but Greek were similar enough to
    > be read with a minimum of training and practice.

    Very probable, but how did you measure those distances and the training and
    practice necessary ?

    > I revised this a bit
    > in 2001: http://www.evertype.com/standards/cy/coptic.html. German,
    > English, and Irish can all be read with similarly low learning curve
    > whether the script is Fraktur or Gaelic; the number of letterforms
    > which differ is small.

    Interesting, I wonder if you included Sütterlin in your study.

    http://pages.infinit.net/hapax/images/suetterlin.jpg

    To the average litterate reader of the Latin script and not scholars like
    Everson : what letters are written ?

    P. A.