Re: Windows and MacOS keyboard layouts in human-readable format?

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Tue Dec 30 2003 - 01:24:56 EST

    From: "Doug Ewell" <dewell@adelphia.net>

    > Michael is right, of course, that the differences between keyboards
    > amount to more than just the basic layout and Shift and AltGr keys.
    > There are custom shifting keys, dead keys, and unusual uses of Caps
    > Lock, not to mention Far Eastern IMEs. But I don't think the whole idea
    > needs to be scuttled because of these problems. Let's see if we can
    > expand Adam's chart to cover some of these extra needs.

    Adam was looking for this work, already done. And he gave a sample of what
    he was hoping would exit, out in the wild. So I was merely pointing out a
    bunch of reasons why this was not a practical thing to want, so he should
    not be too disappointed when he did not find it (since by its very nature it
    would be incomplete).

    If there is interest in trying to develop a format and subsequently fill it,
    then that is great. But is it really a good idea to discuss such a project
    in *this* forum? And does it really meet the criteria Adam laid out?

    MichKa [MS]
    NLS Collation/Locale/Keyboard Development