Re: German 0364 COMBINING LATIN SMALL LETTER E

From: John Delacour (JD@BD8.COM)
Date: Sun Dec 28 2003 - 19:46:15 EST

    At 12:05 am +0100 29/12/03, Philippe Verdy wrote:

    >> >Because in modern German orthography, the sharp-s is replaced by "ss" if
    >> >the sharp-s is not available.
    >>

    >> Michel de Montaigne displays a nice variety of esses in this letter
    >> to the King:
    >>
    > > <http://bd8.com/temp/mm_lettre.jpg>
    >
    >This letter shows consistant use of long form of s for all non-final
    >occurences of s, and consistant use of the small form for all final s...
    >Where is the problem here ?

    He writes 'vous estes' and not 'vous e/tes';
    'ie les embrasse' and not 'ie les embras/e';
    'as/urer vostre maie/te' and not 'vo/tre maieste' but elsewhere
    'ce que vostre maieste'

    etc. Smetimes he writes st as it were a ligature
    and sometimes not and sometimes he writes /t.
    That's not consistent to me.

    > > <http://bd8.com/temp/georg1778.jpg>
    >
    >Note that this is not English, but Latin language.

    Oh :-)

    >I don't know when the long form of s was effectively abandonned in French
    >and English, by simply choosing the uniform form that is used for uppercase;
    >but this usage has survived in German for long, notably in the final
    >ess-tsett which was effectively a non-final s and a final s, with only the
    >first one consistently represented by a long form, often creating ligatures
    >with the last s in handwritten script. Even in the German Sütterlin, the
    >long s was the only prefered form as most letters where to be written in
    >actual texts as lowercase, and German words are often composed by ignoring
    >the preservation of the special final small form occuring at end of a
    >non-final radical.
    >
    >> I have some older Italian manuscripts including a letter from
    >> Petrarch but I can't find them at the moment. The Italian first s
    >> was tall and overhanging.
    >
    >The long s has traditionally always been overhanging in handwritten script,
    >with the same reason it was also overhanging for the lowercase f.

    I meant that the Italian handwritten long s is
    not like the French and English,; it does not go
    below the line and is like an upturned L

    > I do think that long s with a short leg is an
    >error for the handwritten script, but the short
    >leg form of long s is also occuring in printed
    >book script exactly with the same cases as f.

    If it's an error then a lot of Italians fell into
    it from 1300 to 1600. At the moment I can only
    find Petrarch's formal handwriting

    <http://bd8.com/temp/petr_1.jpg>

    and his letter style is quite different. The
    1601 docs I have use tall and very tree-like
    esses. I'll find them some time this week.

    >We have the same final/non-final differences in Greek with final and
    >non-final sigma; or in Hebrew with some letters; or even more in Arabic on
    >almost all letters. I don't see why you think that your examples would be
    >showing inconsistant use.

    All I'm saying is that styles vary very much from
    place to place, as indeed they do now and did
    very much 70 years ago.

    >Still, none of the examples you show use a sharp-s ligature, which is only
    >typical of German. So I don't see why this would exclude the correct
    >interpretation of sharp-s as being effectively a German ligature of a "long"
    >(initial/medial) s followed by the modern "normal" (final) s.
    >
    >Do you still think I'm one of those illiterate that did not know this
    >consistant use of long-s as the principal form of s in medieval French,
    >English, German, Italian, Spanish, etc... ???

    Perish the thought :-)

    JD