Re: Greek tonos and oxia

From: John Cowan (cowan@ccil.org)
Date: Wed Jun 30 2004 - 19:49:51 CDT

Peter Kirk scripsit:

> Since the characters are in fact exactly equivalent, you can use
> whichever you wish, as long as you are aware that some processes may
> change one to the other. They should be rendered identically.

True. But the original question was "Which are preferred", and there
is a definite answer to that.

> But, in favour of using the versions from the Extended Greek sets,
> there are a number of fonts around which render the versions in the
> main Greek and Coptic block (or has it been officially renamed just
> "Greek"?) with a vertical tonos,

Quite so. In general, though, we should encode text correctly and then
use correct fonts, rather than adjusting our encoding to the vagaries
of erroneous or obsolete fonts. Unicode 2.0 fonts also have the problem
that they produce the wrong forms for theta and phi in running text.

--
"In my last lifetime,                           John Cowan
I believed in reincarnation;                    http://www.ccil.org/~cowan