Re: Jumping Cursor. Was: Right-to-Left Punctuation Problem

From: Mark E. Shoulson (mark@kli.org)
Date: Mon Aug 01 2005 - 20:38:10 CDT

    Gregg Reynolds wrote:

    > John Hudson wrote:
    >
    >> Jony Rosenne wrote:
    >>
    >>> I object. The proposal, were it to be accepted, would create havoc.
    >>

    >> I agree. The Unicode bidi algorithm is basically fine. The fact that
    >

    > Maybe so. I admit it is an impressive piece of work. And even
    > useful, if you need to mix language directionalities in your text.
    >
    > Unfortunately, that is not what this is about. I'll say it yet again:
    > Arabic (like other RTL written languages) is *monodirectional*. Where
    > this idea of "inherent" bidirectionality got started I'd like to know,
    > so I could deliver a scrumptious knuckle sandwich. Anybody who still
    > buys into this pernicious piece of mythology is welcome to email me,
    > and I will try to put the worms out of your head.

    Unicode has, for reasons of consistency and other kinds of sanity, seen
    fit to declare that decimal-coded numbers shall be encoded
    most-significant-digit first. Why that order? Who cares? It suffices
    that they needed there to be *one* ordering. It's not about Arabic
    being "inherently bidirectional", that's a consequence of the fact that
    the imposed ordering goes against it. Unfair to the Arabic-writers?
    Probably, but them's the breaks when standards happen. RTL is in the
    minority and gets the short end of the stick sometimes (and for other
    reasons). You might have *some* claim wrt Arabic numerals (by which I
    mean those digits used when writing Arabic; you know what I mean), but
    Israelis use just plain ol' ordinary numbers like the rest of the
    Western world, and nobody will believe that it's a "different" 7 in
    David than in Times.

    ~mark