U+047C/U+047D CYRILLIC OMEGA WITH TITLO

From: Alexej Kryukov (akrioukov@newmail.ru)
Date: Sat Oct 01 2005 - 15:05:10 CST

    Hi,

    I would like to return to the question about U+047C/U+047D
    CYRILLIC OMEGA WITH TITLO, already raised in this list a few
    weeks ago. It is really difficult to understand why omega
    with titlo was included to Unicode, assuming that the Cyrillic
    alphabet has many letters which are much more often used in
    combination with titlo. So, if this character was really introduced
    just to represent omega with titlo, as its name says, it is probably
    quite useless.

    However, I have an impression that U+047C/U+047D was really meant
    to represent a different character, which Alexander Berdnikov
    (see http://www.uni-giessen.de/partosch/eurotex99/berdnikov2.pdf)
    calls "Calligraphic omega with titlo and aspiration" (to my
    mind, it should be called rather "calligraphic omega with _circumflex_
    and aspiration", but this is not so important). The fact
    that U+047C/U+047D are not canonically decomposed to omega+titlo
    seems to confirm my guess.

    So, if my guess is correct, I would propose the following modifications
    in the character database and the code chart:

    -- I understand that the character names cannot be changed, but it
    should be possible to add the following comment to U+047D: "Calligraphic
    omega with titlo and aspiration. This is not equal to U+0461 + U+0483";

    -- the character shape in the code chart has to be changed. The attached
    image shows how this calligraphical omega should really look like.
    BTW, some font developers already design U+047C/U+047D by this way.

    --
    Regards,
    Alexej Kryukov <akrioukov at newmail dot ru>

    calligraphic_Omega.png