Informal poll

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Oct 04 2005 - 17:57:25 CST

    All,

    I recently conducted an informal poll designed to get the answer to the
    questions
    below. I thought it might be interesting to poll a few lists as well to
    broaden the sample.
    If you are interested, send my your reply *without copying the list* -
    you wouldn't
    want to influence anybody else ;-) For the same reason, it would be nice
    if you
    could refrain from sending comments about the poll to the list until
    after it's
    completed.

    I'll compile any answers I get within the next 72 hours and post
    whatever results I can
    glean, compounded with my other poll results by, say, end of week.

    I will also forward the results to the Unicode Consortium's Editorial
    Committee,
    who, I am sure, would be keenly interested in the results.

    A./

    a) if you need to look up something in the Unicode Standard do you primarily
       use the book or the online files?

    b) do you have access to a hard copy (book edition) of the Unicode Standard?

    c) who owns it (yourself, co-worker, departmental copy, library (checked
    out, on-site copy))?

    d) what version of the standard?

    e) what would you find a compelling reason to get the latest hardcopy
    edition?
        (including a future 5.0 edition, if you are already using 4.0).

    The following question can be answered yes/no or often/rarely/never

    f) do you use the online code charts?

    g) do you use the online PDF files for the text?

    h) do you use the online Unicode character database?

    i) do you use the online UAXs, UTSs, or UTRs? Which ones?

    j) if you have access to the book, did you ever use the CD-ROM?

    k) any comments, thoughts or observations concerning this poll, the
    standard, or whatever.

    please reply to asmusf@ix.netcom.com or asmus@unicode.org
    [END]