Re: Improper grounds for rejection of proposal N2677

From: David Starner (prosfilaes@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 25 2005 - 12:33:01 CST

    To summarize, the grounds weren't improper; you just didn't agree with
    them. Procedurely speaking, the rejection was entirely well founded.

    Referring to the mathematical letters won't help you a whole lot; as
    an addition to Unicode, they're one of the more controversial, and I
    for one don't agree with them. (I do however understand that that is
    water under the bridge, and that an argument would be futile.)

    Your hex letters don't have a large support among the people who would
    use them; note that the mathematical letters had the support of the
    American Mathematical Society. If the ACM were to support these
    characters, the case might be different.

    But instead those who need hexidecimal digits would instead use the
    ASCII versions, making your proposed characters confusing and most
    people would just discourage their use. Unicode does not need more
    characters that people aren't supposed to use.