Re: Improper grounds for rejection of proposal N2677

From: Rick McGowan (rick@unicode.org)
Date: Fri Oct 28 2005 - 10:40:56 CST

    Alexej Kryukov wrote,

    > To my mind, these characters look quite strange, but, if encoding
    > them is considered correct, then the hexadecimal digits should be
    > encoded for the very same reasons...

    Ah, but. As people have explained, the Roman numerals were encoded for
    round-trip mapping to some standard(s) that existed when Unicode was first
    created. There aren't other standards with the same requirements for these
    hexadecimal digits. In fact, it's just the opposite: *no* other standard
    that was around when Unicode was first created has ever had specialized
    hexadecimal digits.

            Rick