hex l18n (was: Re: rejection of proposal N2677 (was improper grounds for ...))

From: Gregg Reynolds (unicode@arabink.com)
Date: Fri Oct 28 2005 - 14:02:25 CST

    Chris Jacobs wrote:
    >>At 19:48 27/10/2005, Gregg Reynolds wrote:
    >>
    >>> At high school (in Algeria) we used أ ب جـ د هـ و
    >>>for A B C D E F
    >>>
    >>>That's alef, beh, jeem, dal, heh, waw - the first six letters of the
    >>>traditional abjadia
    >

    > And what directionality do they have when used as digits?

    Now Chris, are you baiting me? ;) (If you look in the archives you'll
    see the issue of number directionality is near and dear to my heart.)

    I never thought of it before, but hex notation in RTL languages probably
    wouldn't work too well, would it. The bidi algorithm would mess
    things up, no? You could hack it out in an editor, but what about
    functions that need to deal with hex strings?

    While we're at it, what about Hebrew? I would guess latin a-f are used;
    can somebody confirm?

    I'll see if I can scare up some Arabic examples to scan. In general, in
    the texts I've seen, mathematical notation in Arabic is pretty much an
    RTL mirror image of LTR mathematical notation.

    -gregg