Origin of the U+nnnn notation

From: Jukka K. Korpela (jkorpela@cs.tut.fi)
Date: Tue Nov 08 2005 - 03:26:47 CST

    I have been unable to hunt down the historical origin of the
    notation U+nnnn (where nnnn are hexadecimal digits) that we
    use to refer to characters (and code points).

    Presumably "U" stands for "UCS" or for "Unicode", but where does the plus
    sign come from? My guess would be that it's just a separator, but
    why would a separator be needed? To make the expression more easily
    distinguishable (visually and automatically), perhaps.