Re: three questions about alphabet files at Michael Everson site

From: Charles Levert (charles.levert@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Nov 10 2005 - 02:11:21 CST

    Hello.

    * On Wednesday 2005-11-09 at 22:05:08 +0200, Cristian Secară wrote:

    > 2. The French alphabet (same site) includes the "N capital/small letter
    > with tilde" surrounded by (round) parenthesis.
    > How important is this character for the French language? I have not
    > found any reference for this character elsewhere (well, after a
    > moderate search).

    Alphabet from <http://www.evertype.com/alphabets/french.pdf>:
    ]
    ] A a (Â â, À à), (Æ æ), B b, C c (Ç ç), D d, E e (É é, Ê ê, È è,
    ] Ë ë), F f, G g, H h, I i (Î î, Ï ï), J j, K k, L l, M m, N n
    ] (Ñ ñ), O o (Ô ô), (Œ œ), P p, Q q, R r, S s, T t, U u (Û û, Ù ù),
    ] V v, W w, X x, Y y (Ÿ ÿ), Z z

    This list is missing (Ü ü) which can be found in French words
    (i.e., commonly accepted as such in French dictionaries) such as:

       capharnaüm (a mess)
       Bienvenüe, Fulgence (the engineer of Paris’ Métropolitain)
       Ésaü (a bible character)
       Montparnasse-Bienvenüe (a subway station)
       volapük (an invented international language)
       würm (an ice age)
       würmien(ne)

    Words appearing in French dictionaries and containing (Ñ ñ) and
    others not on this list are usually marked as still being foreign
    words, but not yet French words of foreign origin. For example:

       cañon (mot espagnol), also spelled canyon
       maelström (mot néerlandais), also spelled malstrom

    These latter combinations of base letter and accent are usually
    not regarded as being French, which _might_ explain why these
    words are not promoted as being French themselves while other
    words more readily are.

    See:

       <http/www.irisa.fr/faqtypo/lessons.pdf>
       <http://www.eki.ee/letter/chardata.cgi?lang=fr+French&script=latin