Re: Fonts

From: John Hudson (john@tiro.ca)
Date: Mon Nov 13 2006 - 11:34:12 CST

    James Kass wrote:

    > I'm under the impression, though I could well be mistaken, that
    > John Hudson might be working on a Plane One math font. If so,
    > we can all look forward to a professional-quality font for these
    > characters.

    Just noticed this comment.

    My partner Ross Mills and I worked on the Cambria Math font for Office 2007. The initial
    Cambria font and much of the math alphanumeric characters were designed by Jelle Bosma at
    Monotype (including fraktur). We revised some of this, further extended the character set,
    and added the math layout intelligence to work with Microsoft's new math engine. Ross did
    most of the work on this project.

    > Meanwhile, I'm trying to get a new version of Code2001 ready.
    > It will have some minor improvements, but the math Fraktur
    > will still be, uh, pretty awful.

    I've just finished designing a set of plane 1 fraktur characters for use as symbols in
    textual criticism. These will be included in the SBL BibLit font, which will be released
    by the Society of Biblical Literature later this month (I'll be demo'ing this and other
    SBL fonts at their conference in Washington DC next weekend). I'm thinking about making
    the fraktur glyph outlines available as open source, since I'm not intending to make a
    complete fraktur typeface out of them and I feel sorry for anyone else trying to make
    halfway decent fraktur glyphs for math or other symbol purposes. The design I used is
    based on exemplars in a 1950s book on German sign painting, and represent a kind of
    'generic' fraktur: not very stylish, but adequate for math and textual criticism purposes.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC         john@tiro.ca