Re: Public Review Issue Update: #100, "Giving U+00B7 MIDDLE DOT the ID_Continue Property"

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Thu Jan 11 2007 - 23:34:43 CST

Philippe Verdy <verdy underscore p at wanadoo dot fr> wrote:

> Isn't it notable that *most* Minnan documents we find are encoded
> using U+00B7 MIDDLE DOT and not this combining character? This is
> probably a legacy inherited from the frequent use of ISO 8859-*
> charsets where MIDDLE DOT is present, not the combining dot above
> right.

Maybe it's because U+0358 wasn't encoded until Unicode 4.1 in March
2005, and font support for it is still very, very scarce.

Wikipedia is in a tough position here: they usually try hard to use the
correct Unicode characters, but at some point they have to draw the line
when font support for ordinary text is likely to be poor. If you can
see the three instances of U+0358 in the text below (copied from Min Nan
Wikipedia with the middle dots "fixed") without taking special steps,
such as changing fonts or editors, you're ahead of me:

"Kóng-gī lâi kóng, chū-jiân sī ú-tiū ê choân-pō͘, sī bu̍t-chit sè-kài ê
it-chhè, pau-koah só͘-ū ê mi̍h kap lêng-goân. Chū-jiân ê tēng-gī tòe
sî-tāi teh piàn, jī-chhiáⁿ chhiâng-chāi hō͘ lâng the̍h lâi hām kî-thaⁿ ê
kài-liām sio pí-phēng, khó-pí kóng jîn-ûi, chhiau-chū-jiân."

http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/