Re: Proposing a DOUBLE HYPHEN punctuation mark

From: Adam Twardoch (list.adam@twardoch.com)
Date: Wed Jan 24 2007 - 13:52:15 CST

    >>> Tam wisi czerwono-
    >>> -niebieska flaga.
    In English it’s: "There hangs a red-blue flag".

    > This is an interesting case of spelling change around a line-break
    > opportunity that is *not* given by an SHY. I think this calls for
    > adding this example to UAX#14. (With your permission, I'll use your
    > example and credit you - can I get a translation of the sample string?)
    Sure, go ahead. This behavior can be somewhat enforced by encoding a
    soft hyphen followed immediately by a hard hyphen, but:

    1. I don’t think the user should be forced to encode a soft hyphen
    there. The hard hyphen is a natural hyphenation point, and most users
    just insert a hard hyphen there.

    2. Currently, some applications can’t deal with such encoding properly
    (soft hyphen followed by a hard hyphen). They give the hard hyphen a
    higher priority than the soft hyphen that occurs right before it. They
    treat the hard hyphen as a natural hyphenation point and hyphenate right
    after it, without visualizing the extra hyphen.

    Instead of the expected

    Tam wisi czerwono{soft hyphen}
    {hard hyphen}niebieska flaga.

    the result is:

    Tam wisi czerwono{soft hyphen}{hard hyphen}
    niebieska flaga.

    which visualizes as

    Tam wisi czerwono-
    niebieska flaga.