Re: Missing character: Combining Up Tack Above

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2007 - 14:10:23 CST

    > On 3/29/07, David Starner <prosfilaes@gmail.com> wrote:
    > > I've put up a Q&D webpage:
    > > <http://prosfilaes.googlepages.com/combiningtackabove>.
    >
    > I've found a couple more usages of this, from a different company (and
    > all different authors), who attribute it to the 1901 edition of
    > Webster's International Dictionary, and I've updated the above page
    > accordingly. I'll propose a new character formally, but it will have
    > to wait until college is out.

    Nice research, and I have no doubt about the validity of this
    as an (obsolete) combining mark used for awhile in American
    lexicography.

    But I still object to the notion that this be considered a
    COMBINING UP TACK ABOVE -- for a number of reasons. The
    graphic form is different. It is historically derived from
    a modification of the macron. And another reason that might
    not be so apparent at first: encoding it as an up tack, but
    using glyphs more appropriate for capturing the macron-like
    usage in these old pronunciation guides, might interfere
    in the future with the possible need for encoding of
    *actual* up (and/or down) tack combining marks analogous
    to the up tack below and down tack below combining marks
    that are already encoded: 031D, 031E.

    I don't really care if it is called COMBINING MACRON WITH
    VERTICAL TICK or COMBINING MACRON WITH DOOHICKEY or
    COMBINING MACRON WITH SOME WHAZZIT STUCK ON IT -- just not
    that it be inappropriately shape-unified with a true up tack.

    --Ken