Re: Uppercase ß is coming? (U+1E9E)

From: Frank Ellermann (nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de)
Date: Fri May 04 2007 - 04:22:32 CST

    Kenneth Whistler wrote:

    >> That's complete rubbish, there's no such thing as an "upper case ß".
    >> DIN would be dissolved by law if they'd ever support this nonsense.

    > I'm sorry, but it is *that* comment which is complete rubbish.

    Thanks for the warning about the broken PDF, for unknown reasons the
    text pages and the 1E??-table work with AcroReader 3. The evidence
    on these pages is what's today an ordinary ß in a larger font, while
    the lower case ß in these examples is the variant I've learned in
    school ("Grüß Gott, Kasperl") some decades ago (long-s z ligature).

    It's not a new character. It shows that an ordinary ß is sometimes
    used together with capital letters instead of SS (or even SZ), and
    the result is perfectly readable. It's u+00DF, you have it already.

    Frank