Re: Combining Overstruck diacritics

From: John Hudson (john@tiro.ca)
Date: Tue May 29 2007 - 23:06:09 CDT

    Kenneth Whistler wrote:

    > U+0336 COMBINING LONG STROKE OVERLAY was intended more as the
    > poor man's strikethrough diacritic...

    Or not so poor if handled with contextual glyphs substitution for appropriate widths and
    dynamic mark positioning. I just implemented this in Hebrew for Dead Sea Scrolls scholars
    who use a strikethrough to indicate deleted text. The visual results can be quite
    acceptable with about six width variants of the long stroke overlay character.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
    Gulf Islands, BC      tiro@tiro.com