RE: Why people still want to encode precomposed letters

From: Don Osborn (dzo@bisharat.net)
Date: Sun Nov 16 2008 - 07:28:47 CST

    From a user point of view - newcomer or not - problems with performance of the systems that they are using lead to questions about the problems. Most people (I daresay including a large number of computer experts) do not understand the workings of fonts and rendering, but see something that does not work as hoped or expected. In the case of combining diacritics that are not rendered properly, it's understandable that many people will react by questioning why the combinations in question are not encoded as precomposed characters.

    One response is explaining Unicode's policy, but as important as this be, it is not addressing the core issue - the reason why people bring up the issue of precomposed characters - which is poor rendering / positioning of combining diacritics.

    The real answer, which Karl emphasized in his original posting, is how to assure that combining diacritics do display correctly. There are several issues involved, but is there any overarching strategy to help address this? For instance, Michael mentioned that "there is no guidance or help for font developers" - how could such be developed and by who?

    Another thought is that as a part of addressing this issue, which is arguably the biggest "problem" with Unicode for users (or at least those users who encounter complex scripts), perhaps the "Display problems?" section on the Unicode site could be expanded to discuss combining diacritics. Or better yet, a new section like "Combining diacritic problems?" could be added to both explain the policy briefly and then discuss short and long-term fixes to common problems users encounter.

    Don