Re: Gwoyeu Romatzyh marking the optional neutral tone

From: Charlie Ruland (ruland@luckymail.com)
Date: Mon Jul 13 2009 - 17:41:55 CDT

    ***** Original Message/原始郵件 *****
    From/寄件者: Leo Broukhis <leob@mailcom.com>
    Subject/主旨: Re: Gwoyeu Romatzyh marking the optional neutral tone
    To/收件者: Kenneth Whistler <kenw@sybase.com>
    Date/日期: Mon Jul 13 2009 23:50:45 GMT+0200
    > On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 2:18 PM, Kenneth Whistler<kenw@sybase.com> wrote:
    >> In that case, Unicode has just what the doctor ordered:
    >>
    >> U+FF61 HALFWIDTH IDEOGRAPHIC FULL STOP
    I beg to differ. What we need is *proportional* ideographic full stop
    (neither full with nor half width, i.e. not monospaced/fixed width).

    >> The main problem with insisting on etymological correctness,
    >> however, is that U+FF61 may not be as well-represented in
    >> general purpose fonts as some of the other choices.
    >
    > There is also U+FFEE HALFWIDTH WHITE CIRCLE.
    Which is usually *above* the baseline and therefore doesn’t resemble the
    character we are looking for at all.

    Regards,
    Charlie

    --