Re: GR and letter case Was: Gwoyeu Romatzyh marking the optional neutral tone

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Jul 14 2009 - 17:54:10 CDT

    On 7/14/2009 11:52 AM, Kenneth Whistler wrote:
    > Asmus,
    >

    >>> Typographically, it might sit just slightly to deep. However, being a
    >>> spacing character, I wonder whether this is not just a glyph/font issue.
    >>>
    >> For some characters the "it's just slightly off" really means it's a
    >> different character.
    >>

    > It this case it does not, however.

    That was just the bait to get you to write the detailed analysis. :)

    I find your reasoning more plausible than this earlier business of the
    hollow period and trying to shoehorn CJK glyphs/characters into use.
    It's also plausibly based on something other than "oh, we have a low
    circle, lets just use any old low circle we have lying around". The key
    to that, for me, is your argument about the other modifier letters - as
    well as the fact that the additional samples made available betoken
    something that's typographically far from settled (ring vs. o).

    I will continue to argue against solutions that look like mere
    "unification by fuzzy ink" to me. I think that type of unification is as
    inappropriate as if that process was used for CJK ideographs. Unlike
    ideographs, the "rules" for deciding the character vs. glyph question in
    some other contexts are more obscure - especially where character are
    not used as part of well-understood orthographies. Even when the context
    suggests that a modifier letter could be an appropriate choice, I still
    believe that the analysis needs to always go to the bottom, as yours
    did, before that can become the final word on the subject.

    A./