Re: Guidance wanted on implementing Greek context-dependent casing

From: Apostolos Syropoulos (ijdt.editor@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 07 2009 - 00:56:38 CDT

    2009/8/7 karl williamson <public@khwilliamson.com>

    > I'm confused about context-dependent case changing for Greek.
    >
    > The following comments are in SpecialCasing.txt
    > # IMPORTANT-when capitalizing iota-subscript (0345)
    > # It MUST be in normalized form--moved to the end of any sequence of
    > combining marks.
    > # This is because logically it represents a following base character!
    > # E.g. <iota_subscript> (<Mn> | <Mc> | <Me>)+ => (<Mn> | <Mc> | <Me>)+
    > <iota_subscript>
    > # It should never be the first character in a word, so in titlecasing it
    > can be left as is.
    >
    > But, when I look for more details in Chapter 5 of the standard, I don't see
    > much that helps me. This looks like an attempt to add a rule via a comment.
    > Given my recent experience with misleading comments in DerivedAge.txt, I
    > wonder if it is accurate, and if so, shouldn't there really be a
    > context-dependent rule for it, instead of just adding a comment to a data
    > file?
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Well I do not really think that one can capitalize this symbol since it
    makes no sense. On the other hand I have seen many
    things regarding the Greek script that make no sense. For example according
    to the standard, capitalizing έ should give Έ
    which is wrong. In Greek έ is not a letter but the letter ε with an accent.
    Compare this with the letter å which is not a letter with
    an accent but a real letter part of the Swedish alphabet.

    A.S.

    --
    Apostolos Syropoulos
    366, 28th October Str.