Re: Hangul leaves the nest...

From: Doug Ewell (doug@ewellic.org)
Date: Mon Aug 10 2009 - 20:33:15 CDT

    Mark E. Shoulson <mark at kli dot org> wrote:

    > Even if they use the Jamos with different values, i.e. if the
    > phonology is really different, what matters is that the
    > syllable-structure should be similar. Hangul is designed to handle a
    > particular kind of syllable; something with, say, too many consonants
    > allowed in the coda could be a problem.

    You know, like English.

    This might be an interesting experiment for the Hangul enthusiasts who
    have called it "the most perfect phonetic system devised" and "the most
    efficient alphabet ever invented," and have claimed that virtually any
    language could be written effectively in Hangul.

    Fortunately, from the few available samples, Cia-Cia appears to contain
    a high concentration of CV and CVC syllables, implying that Hangul might
    not be such a bad fit. Personally, I hope it's a raging success for the
    80,000 or so speakers.

    http://www.ewellic.org