Re: Japanese font that includes Italics

From: mpsuzuki@hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Date: Thu Aug 13 2009 - 04:25:22 CDT

    On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 10:14:18 +0200
    Hans Aberg <haberg@math.su.se> wrote:

    >On 13 Aug 2009, at 01:03, Yasuo Kida wrote:
    >
    >> If you are looking for different Japanese typefaces the following
    >> site is the best one as far as I know. It is in Japanese but
    >> probably you can navigate through by looking at images.
    >> http://www.akibatec.net/wabunfont/category/category.html
    >
    >One can try translation services, though the result may be funny:
    > http://translate.google.com/

    I think google translation doesn't understand some Japanese
    typographic terminology ("Gothic-Tai" is translated as
    "Body Gothic"). I recommend to check ISO/IEC 9541-1 that
    includes various typeface classification (some groups are
    submitted by Japanese experts), it provides longer description.

    BTW, I'm not sure what Christine Snow is looking for really.

    * A Japanese calligraphic typeface?
      - for traditional vertical writing mode?
      - is it required to be readable for modern Japanese people?

    * A Japanese typeface (that is recognized to) harmonize with
      italic Latin typafaces, in Japanese/Latin mixed text?

    * A Japanese typeface with a role that an italic Latin typeface
      plays in Latin text?

    * A Japanese typeface which looks different from popular
      Mincho & Gothic?

    Regards,
    mpsuzuki