Support of U+00AD SOFT HYPHEN in current software

From: Karl Pentzlin (karl-pentzlin@acssoft.de)
Date: Fri Aug 14 2009 - 03:22:04 CDT

    The following line contains a U+00AD SOFT HYPHEN after each "test"
    test­test­test­test­test­test­test­test­test­test­test­test­test­test­test­test­test­test­test­test­test­test­test­test­test­test­test­test­test­test­test­test­test­test­test­test­test­test­test­test­test­

    When I include this line in any document, I expect to see something
    like:
    testtesttesttest- <Column border here>
    testtesttesttest-
    testtesttesttest- ...

    But doing this in texts displayed with the current versions of
    Microsoft Word, Quark Express, Emurasoft EmEditor, Microsoft Internet
    Explorer, or Firefox, the line is broken at arbitrary places mostly
    within the "test" letter sequence. Also, hyphens are shown only
    sometimes at these breaks.

    Is there any explanation?

    - Karl Pentzlin