Re: Greek characters in IPA usage

From: Roozbeh Pournader (roozbeh@htpassport.com)
Date: Tue Aug 18 2009 - 15:19:16 CDT

    On Tue, 2009-08-18 at 21:28 +0200, Christoph Päper wrote:
    > I won’t disagree that people who have Arabic as a first script are
    > not used to and would rather not read it segmentally[1], but I don’t
    > believe they’re unable to read it.

    They are able to "decipher" it, but not "read" it. If someone writes
    every individual Latin letter vertically mirrored, that's decipherable
    too. Or if one writes the Latin script da Vinci style, right-to-left,
    with every letter mirrored horizontally. It's decipherable, but it's far
    from readable.

    This is also considering the fact that in several languages written in
    the Arabic script (but not the Arabic language itself), the ZWNJ plays a
    semantic role. With disjoint letter, a ZWNJ would be invisible too, and
    they would additionally need to determine some words based on context.

    > Do you know studies to back up
    > this claim or is it just your experience?

    I don't know studies. But I will gladly find you a good research
    institute if you can find the funding.

    Honestly, who wants to fund it, except a government who may wish to test
    script reform? And if they want to do such a huge script reform, why
    shouldn't they just fix all the troubles at the same time (bidi, local
    digits, ...) and switch to something like Latin?

    Roozbeh