Re: Greek characters in IPA usage

From: Roozbeh Pournader (roozbeh@htpassport.com)
Date: Tue Aug 18 2009 - 17:13:01 CDT

    On Tue, 2009-08-18 at 17:00 -0400, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:
    > See also: http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/arabetics/mutamathil/ and related
    > fonts by the same manufacturer. The plan here is to devise an Arabic
    > font that remains legible (with only some retraining) with no shaping,

    That is exactly taking the tricks that was used for glyph unifications
    in older Arabic character sets to the next level.

    And the sample text available here is also very readable:

    http://new.myfonts.com/foundry/Arabetics/

    But getting back to the real world, I believe that some Arabic
    orthographies of the old Soviet Union (Tatar?) experimented with
    non-shaping Arabic (with glyphs like the Arabetics set) for a short
    period of time, but then discarded the plan. I may have some samples
    somewhere.

    Roozbeh